The Pat Porter Active Living Centre hosted a pop-up COVID-19 vaccine clinic on Monday and there's another scheduled for later this month.
Pat Porter Executive Director Audrey Harder says the clinics run from noon to 6 P.M. and many people book their appointments ahead of time. She notes the clinic staff make great guests.
"They take the whole event centre and when people come in, they get registered at the front and off they go. We have all our programs running in the other rooms that can. Pickleball can't happen, obviously, it would be a little uncomfortable to try to play pickleball while they are giving needles but otherwise, everything else is good. The nurses come have coffee with us and they visit and it is really nice to connect with people."
Harder says the pop-up vaccine clinic will be back in a couple of weeks' time.
"The next time they are coming in is the 22nd of July. They said if you are going to do a drop-in instead of a booking, to come a little bit later on like 2:30 or 3 P.M. and they have more openings then, otherwise you might have to wait a bit."
According to public health, Children ages 5 to 11 are eligible to receive their second shot, while anyone age 18 and older is eligible to receive their first booster dose.
The following individuals are eligible to receive a second booster dose:
- residents of personal care homes and elderly persons housing congregate living sites (such as supportive housing and assisted living) with no age limit;
- individuals aged 50 or older who live in the community;
- First Nations, Inuit and Metis people aged 30 or older, regardless of where they live, and
- individuals 18 to 49 years of age who are moderately to severely immunocompromised.
- For individuals 18 to 49 years of age who are moderately to severely immunocompromised who are uncertain about whether to receive a second booster or when to receive one, please discuss your options with your health care provider.
The interval between a first and a second dose should be 8 weeks. The timeline to receive a booster dose is at least four months after the second dose.